Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Thena Cartwright: Owner and Creator of Catapult Art Mag. Usa

Thena Cartwright: "SHINE is searching for that one thing that makes you whole and complete...letting it eat you alive....letting it carve out of you the very best...and letting the real YOU...SHINE through"





BPP: Who are you?  And who you really are?

Thena Cartwright: I am Thena Cartwright, owner and creator of Catapult Art Mag. I am also a single mother of 2 beautiful children (who are my world), 2 yr old daughter and my 16 yr old son who has been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome (an Autism spectrum disorder). I work a full time job. My children are my priority. I am a one-woman-show that creates an art mag every month, supporting artists. Occasionally, I get time for my own artwork.  I love to help people. I have found my niche. I like to think I am doing my positive part in this world.






BPP: If you could say something important to others who were listening, what would you tell them?

Thena Cartwright: We are miraculously on this huge rock, floating in space, for a very limited time...together. We should act like it. The main idea/principle behind Catapult has been the credo "Let us not outshine one another but SHINE brighter TOGETHER." This is something I strongly believe in. Togetherness. Unity. We do more in supporting each other than we do on our own. Doesn't mean you lose sight of your own dreams. Doesn't mean you smother someone with your own ideas but just nudge and encourage. Just means you know what it is to dream...what it is to need support to make it happen. Sometimes, just the tiniest bit of encouragement can ignite something so beautiful in a person. I like to think I can help in making that happen with the mag. When I hear that someone is overjoyed for being featured in the mag...that their family and friends are so proud of their accomplishment (in some cases, first time published)...that is my reward. That alone will make me lose sleep working on the mag, every month. We should all look for opportunities to do for/help others...without want of anything in return. This is why we are here...setting an example for one another, giving guidance where we can. Not to be mistaken for weakness, but respected as enormous strength. On the other side of that coin, if you do have someone in your life that supports you, in whatever way, count your blessings and show gratitude. This has its own reward, as well.





BPP:  What is your true dream, the one that keeps you up at night and if one day it were to come true you would feel peace and calmness in your heart?

Thena Cartwright: The mag of course, but my torment is to be able to do my own artwork. I struggle trying to make that happen in my enormously tight schedule, constantly working and never enough hours in a day' way of life. It takes me forever to get a piece finished, if at all. Numerous sketches, ideas scratched out waiting to be brought to life. I have 20+ pieces just laying around...started...neglected...in some cases abandoned...screaming at me. Sometimes, I look at them and just shut down because I find it frustrating to only be allowed a few minutes here and there. I love the escape, the shutting out the world and just reveling in my own ideas and being manipulated by creativity. Unleashing it and allowing it to come together on its own. It is an amazing feeling. When I do get to relax into my world...my mind...I come out a different person...calm...content. I also experience guilt for trying to find time for myself when I could be doing something else, if nothing other than washing dishes. I am working very hard on changing this.  I have recently shut out as much noise and eliminated some very unimportant things/activities from my life, making room and time...for my work. I will be promoting my own work soon. You can see a sneak peak of one I am currently working on.





BPP: How is life currently for the people in your country and what would you wish for them and for the planet at large?

Thena Cartwright: I guess I am a dreamer because I feel like the well-being of all mankind, should be priority over money, power, social status. We should have kindness, community, equality, acceptance, understanding, peace, compassion, as the compass for our existence.

Again, we are only here for a limited time. We can either make a positive or negative impact.






BPP: If you had a chance to be a child again would you choose the same life?

Thena Cartwright: I experienced some very traumatic things growing up. However, I would go through it all again because every bit of it has made me the person I am today. I am not perfect, far from it, but I do try my best to be understanding and empathetic to those that cross my path. I was bi-racial when being bi-racial was NOT accepted. So I think this has made me accept everyone, no matter their story, no matter their damage. I have been homeless, eating out of garbage cans. I am no better than anyone else. When you are that low, you can see how equal we all really are and how many people do not agree. It will make you see things differently...clearer. I would not trade that experience for anything. So yes, I would have the same life and would not change a thing. How others respond to me being this way, I would change, if I could. 






BPP:  What was the exact moment that you realized what you wanted to do with your life?  How did you feel at this very moment?

Thena Cartwright: I do not know that I have fully experienced this. I like to think I am constantly growing, evolving into who I am suppose to be, what I am suppose to ultimately do. Looking back over my life, I see where every step has led me where I am today. I knew early on that art was a huge part of my life. I went to a magnet school during High School, for art. I bounced around not knowing what to do until I decided to go to college for Mechanical Engineering (a job I had at the time, going back to school would advance me in the company and provide financial stability to support my son and my mother). Soon after I signed on the dotted line for college, I found out they offered Graphic Design. I really struggled with switching majors but I am glad I did. Graphic Design offers me some amount of fulfillment in being creative. I look back on the day I published the first issue of Catapult and cringe. I had been playing with the idea for so long. Chewing it up and spitting it out for a couple years. Then it seemed the time had come to make it happen. So I took a deep breath and dove in and started making it happen. October 1st, 2011...first issue published...I think I puked twice that day. I think I knew I was suppose to do it because it came so easy. It was just meant to be. So I look forward to seeing where this road takes me. I think it is awesome the creative minds that I get to talk to...some truly amazing people. I find a lot of satisfaction getting to converse with artists that I admire and get them in the mag to SHINE with us. How wonderful is that? The support has been tremendous!!! I also create/design a 140+ page magazine, by myself...every month. That is a pretty awesome accomplishment in itself. That feels pretty damn good.

You should really check it out ...


Thena Catwright's drawing




BPP: Would you like to tell us something we didnt ask until now?

Thena Cartwright: Everyone knows me as saying "LET'S SHINE!!!!" or "SHINE BRIGHT".
What is SHINE? Shine is striving to reach your highest potential. SHINE is searching for that one thing that makes you whole and complete...letting it eat you alive....letting it carve out of you the very best...and letting the real YOU...SHINE through!!! Not letting negativity, whether your own fears or others insecurities hold you back. SHINE is embracing your limitations and making them your strengths. SHINE is taking hold of YOUR LIFE!!! SHINE is believing in yourself....SHINE is believing in others. SHINE is rising up above all that says you cannot. SHINE says...."Just wait! You haven't seen anything yet!"









Photos copyright © Thena Catwright. All rights reserved.

ALL CONTENT © ISMINI KARALI 2011 - 2013. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. 


3 comments:

  1. Awesome, Im crying for joy for you and your beliefs. Tears of Joy (of course)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Xmas Happy New Year Thena much success to you in 2014 !......

    ReplyDelete