Friday, December 21, 2012

Joe Murtagh: Illustrator - Liverpool, UK


Joe Murtagh's avatar



Joe Murtagh: "The world needs to be quiet and slow down. Understand what matters before it’s gone. Life passes quickly"





BPP: Who are you?  And who you really are?

Joe Murtagh:  I’m Joe, I live in Liverpool. I’m a father, husband, son, brother, cousin, uncle and friend. I’ve been an art teacher, art lecturer/tutor, web designer, graphic designer, photo retoucher, painter and sculptor. When I had the time and space I used to paint and sculpt, but now use my mouse and tablet to have fun and create stuff via my computer.


"Business"

 "Business as usual"



BPP: If you could say something important to others who were listening, what would you tell them?

Joe Murtagh:The one thing that has kept true throughout my life, even though I never fully understood/felt it early on, is to know oneself. Be true to yourself. Which is easier said than done, and is often confused by outside forces/influences. I’m still trying my best to follow my own advice. Be true to myself. Be true to yourself! Be happy, have fun, learn and share.

 "Diamonds are forever"


"Flesh"


BPP:  What is your true dream, the one that keeps you up at night and if one day it were to come true you would feel peace and calmness in your heart?

Joe Murtagh: To be able to make art whenever I want. That would be the best. And to have fun with my family and friends.

"Dream"


"Drift'


"Sexy Bones"


BPP: How is life currently for the people in your country and what would you wish for them and for the planet at large?

Joe Murtagh: Here in the UK the modern deadly disease ‘APATHY’ has secured itself into our society. Brought forward by an untrustworthy state whose every word is hollow and breeds lies. All sounds a bit heavy I know, but it’s true! But it’s all OK, we have gadgets to take our mind off it. Excuse my sarcasm.
The world needs to be quiet and slow down. Understand what matters before it’s gone. Life passes quickly.

"Pour"


"Rich Neon"

BPP: If you had a chance to be a child again would you choose the same life?

Joe Murtagh: I’d follow the same path, but with more confidence and belief in myself. And have more fun.

"Lovers"


"Pleez"



BPP:  What was the exact moment that you realized what you wanted to do with your life?  How did you feel at this very moment?

Joe Murtagh: From an early age I could draw well. And it was noticed, which I liked. I would watch cartoons with my dad and draw the cartoon characters afterwards. When I got praise, I was hooked. There was no going back. I was very lucky to know what I was good at. Well, nothing else could replace the buzz from creating something from nothing. Magic.


"Ride"


"Share"



BPP: Would you like to tell us something we didn’t ask until now?

Joe Murtagh: What influences your artwork? Why do you do it?
Well, good questions, haha J The older I get, the light and shade I see around me seems more extreme and urgent. Explaining how it makes us feel though has become grey and murky. What I try to do with my artwork is express stuff which isn’t easy to say with a few words. Sometimes we can’t fully explain why we do or feel things, which I find fascinating. My thinking is very much influenced by a Buddhist thought, ‘he who fears death cannot enjoy life’. I believe there are lots of people who walk through their lives who haven’t lived. Who think life will go on forever. Modern life prevents us from seeing what matters. We are all so busy.
Life, death and love are my main themes. When I draw a skull or skeleton they represent more than ‘death’. They symbolize our compulsions, our desires, our wastefulness. If we accepted the fact that death is a part of life, we may respect life more.


"Stare"




"Weight"



If you want to learn more about Joe Murtagh, please visit:
http://www.joemurtagh.co.uk/

Photos  © copyright by Joe Murtagh. All rights reserved.




ALL CONTENT © ISMINI KARALI 2011 - 2012. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. 








No comments:

Post a Comment