Sunday, January 22, 2012

Carol C. Lee, Photographer, Artist, Mother, Wife - Texas, Usa

    Image courtesy: Carol C. Lee 




Carol C. Lee: "I believe that we never stop learning"




BPP: Identity: Who you are? And who you really are?

 Carol C. Lee: Self described as "38, Photographer, Artist, Mother, Wife, and Texan!" I was born and raised in South Texas to two very artistically inclined parents.  I have trained and studied in Visual Arts all my life, but I'm a self-taught photographer.

Having taken my first picture at the age of 3, and given my first SLR at the age of 12 (Pentax K1000) I took many rolls of under/over exposed film in my learning process.  I can't remember not ever having a camera or access to one, but I do remember sending off my rolls of film in prepaid postage envelopes, and walking to our post office every day to check to see if my prints had arrived. 


"My sweet companion" - Image courtesy: Carol C. Lee


The anticipation in those days to see what I have captured hasn't change much, I still get very excited to see my film or digital captures. I truly believe I was born an artist and everything I have learned over the years in the other aspects of my art training have contributed to my photography in every way.  I don't like to categorize myself when asked, "What type of photographer are you?"

I love doing it all! However, I find portrait photography enjoyable, and my new love for Street Photography gives me indescribable feeling that is very hard to explain in words. I shoot in both film and digital and I'm fairly new to street photography.  When I'm out there on the streets I feel the energy and oneness with the street. So, Who am I really? I'm just a simple Texas girl with a big passion for photography.


"I  bank you" - Image courtesy: Carol C. Lee


BPP: If you could say something important you've learned all these years of your life, to the other people and they were able to listen to you, what would you like to tell them?

Carol C. leeDon't be afraid to try something new, Read ~ Read ~ READ!, ask lots of questions, give credit to others where credit is due, and live your life doing the things that make you happy!

I believe that we never stop learning, there is always someone to look up to, and there is always someone to teach or mentor. Where we take in some areas of our life, it's good to give back in others... I feel it's important to have an open mind, be positive, inspiring, don't be afraid to ask for help, learn to give and take constructive criticism, and stay humble and true to oneself.  However, above all I truly feel it's important to believe in yourself and in your work. 


" Little girl" - Image courtesy: Carol C. Lee


BPP: What is your real dream, the one that keeps you awake at nights and if one day it will come true, you will feel your heart calm and peacefull?

Carol C. Lee: I feel like I'm living my dream, and I'm very blessed that I get to do what I really want to do in my life right now. Sure I have dreams like working as a fashion photographer, or travel the world working for National Geographic. :)  I usually find a sense of accomplishment rather than calm or peace once I have reached a goal.  Mostly, because I believe that there will always be something else to conquer and knowledge to gain.


Image courtesy: Carol C. Lee


BPP: How is life for the people in your country today? What do you wish to happen to the people of this planet at large?

Carol C. Lee: This is a very deep and vast question that I'm going to dodge around a bit. As a whole I think the USA is in hard times, but I guess it all depends on what country you compare us too.  As a planet, hmmmm.... I think it would benefit us all if everyone was just nicer to each other... Ever notice during holiday season how everyone is so nice to each other?  Sometimes, I wished it was holidays season all year round! 


 "Out of my way" - Image courtesy: Carol C. Lee


BPP: If you had the chance to be a child again, will you choose to do the same life you do?

Carol C Lee: Yes, If I was a child I would do it all just the same. Even now I never look back or regret any part of my past. Good or bad.  I learn from my mistakes and experiences ~ and keep moving forward.


"Urban Harem" - Image courtesy: Carol C. Lee


BPP: Which exactly was the moment you understood what you want to do in your life? How did you feel at this very moment?

Carol C. Lee: It's hard to explain that I've always known that I was going to be an artist... I can remember at a very young age going outside at the hottest part of the day with a new box of crayons, just so I can melt them on my metal slide to create a painting. When it was cool enough I would use my mom's spatula to peel it off. 


Carol & her wonderful children - Image courtesy: Carol C. Lee


 All aspects of my artistic career has blended together. When I was in high school I would do photo shoots of my friends all dressed up... Hence my love for fashion photography is probably rooted from here.



"Vector field" - Image courtesy: Carol C. Lee


When I studied art in college I owned a camera but never really used it at the scale, and with the passion that I do now.  It wasn't until the year 2000, that I started to fall in love with photography all over again.


" Where the f are my cigarettes?" - Image courtesy: Carol C. Lee



My primary DSLR is a Canon, but I use an array of cameras for my street work including the FujiX100, Yashica Mat 124G, and the Hasselblad 500 C/M.  I also teach photography on a one to one basis and love doing it. It's one of the best jobs ever and I find it so fulfilling!


"Man at the bus stop" - Image courtesy: Carol C. Lee


BPP: Something yours: Do you want to tell us something we didn't ask you until now?

Carol C. Lee: I love coffee, sushi, listening to music, indie and other inspiring films, camping, and laughing till it hurts or I'm crying!



Image courtesy: Carol C. Lee



Carol C. Lee's Drawing for BPProject




If you are interested to learn more about Carol C. Lee:


Photos © by Carol C. Lee - All rights reserved




1 comment:

  1. Wow! Carol, congratulations! I love your words, and your pictures... and your drawing! You go Girl!!

    ReplyDelete